First of all, you need to know that Google Family Link is a parental control app developed by Google for Android devices. Thanks to this app, you will be able to know how many hours your children are using their smartphone, the app they are using and where they are.
Where to download Google Family Link officially
Download Google Family Link for Android devices.
Download Google Family Link for iOS devices.
What is Google Family Link?
As I said before, Google Family Link is parental control app developed by Google. This app works from Android 4.4 on devices and it also works on iOS devices from version 9 on. In addition, your children’s smartphone should be the version 7.0 Nougat at least.
This app works thanks to a Google account. You need to connect your children’s Google account on the app. It means that this app will not work if your children change its Google account.
This app will give you some important information, such as:
- You will be able to know how many hours your children use their phones and how much time they spend on a concrete app. You can limit the time they can use a concrete app by locking the app by yourself.
- You will be able to know where your children are.
- You can configure SafeSearch from Google in order to block adult content.
- You will be able to know how many and which devices your children are using with the same Google account.
How to configure Google Family Link
- Download and install Google Family Link from Play Store o App Store, depending on your device software.
- Once you have opened the app, choose who you are: parents or children.
- It is time to configure the account. The app itself will detect your Google account in order to be the app manager.
- If your children do not have any Google account, you will have to create one. In case they already have a Google account, skip this step.
- A code of nine characters will be given to you. You need to use this code in order to connect your children’s phones to yours.
- It is time to use your children’s smartphones. First of all, download and install Google Family Link for children and teenagers. Once it is installed, log in with your child’s account.
- A new screen will appear and you will have to join the family group. Your children now will be able to read everything you can do and see thanks to this app.
- Accept the following screen and activate Family Link.
- Use again your device name the devices you are controlling in order to identify them easily, and start learning about the different options, such us:
- Location: the app will provide you a private maps with the different locations where you children have been.
- Apps usage: you will be able to see the apps your children use and how much time they spend on them, and when they have used them.
- All the apps you children have installed on their devices will appear and now you will be able to configure them.
- You will be able to configure how much time they can use the smartphone. You can establish what time they go to bed and the smartphone will blocked automatically.
You will be able to do many things in order to control your children’s activity by using this app. Nowadays, there are any dangerous actions on Internet and it is important to know what our children do with their smartphones.